Blade-free Cataract Surgery and Cataract Removal in Rapid City, South Dakota
The only way to surgically treat a cataract is to remove all or part of the lens and replace it with an artificial Intraocular Lens (IOL). Surgery is performed on one eye at a time with at least a two-week healing period in-between.
Steps in Cataract Surgery
- The eye is treated with a topical anesthetic.
- An incision is made on the cornea to remove the cataract-affected lens. Dr. Wright performs laser-based cataract surgery using the VICTUS™ femtosecond laser for this step.
- A pre-determined replacement IOL is implanted into the eye. There are different lens replacement options to choose from, depending on your vision goals after surgery.
- Monofocal lens implants: clear vision at one distance only. Most patients will need glasses after surgery.
- Multifocal lens implants: multiple focal points, designed to provide an improved range of vision for near, intermediate and distance vision.
- Accommodating lens implants: provide improved near, intermediate and far vision by allowing the eye muscles to focus the lens.
- Toric lens implants: correct pre-existing mild to moderate astigmatism. Glasses will be required for near vision activities such as reading.
Your doctor can help you determine if the time is right for cataract surgery in Rapid City and explain the different IOL options for your unique eyes. Contact us today to schedule a Cataract Consultation.
Watch Gene’s Cataract Surgery Experience at Wright Vision Center