Preparing for LASIK Surgery
Even though LASIK surgery is a relatively safe procedure, it is normal to experience uneasiness or nervousness prior to surgery. If you are scheduled for LASIK eye surgery in Rapid City, properly preparing for LASIK will help you feel more at ease and increase your chances of a positive outcome.
Here are some tips to help you prepare for LASIK:
- On the day before surgery stop using makeup, lotions, perfumes or creams. These substances may cause debris to get into your eyes.
- Arrange for transportation. You’ll need to have someone drive you to and from your place of surgery. It may take several days to adjust to the change in your vision.
- On the day of surgery eat a light meal before leaving for your appointment. Most surgeons will allow you to take any prescription medications as normal.
- Dress comfortably and casually. Don’t wear bulky clothes or accessories, especially in your hair. Wear something casual so you won’t need to change once you return home to rest.
- Relax. It’s normal to feel some anxiety before having LASIK, but try to remain as calm as possible.
- If you are concerned about pain, talk to your surgeon. LASIK shouldn’t hurt, but you may feel slight pressure from the laser.
- Take a few days off. Some LASIK patients go back to work the day after their procedure, but Dr. Wright suggests taking at least a couple of days to rest. Make sure you keep your expectations realistic. This is especially important if you work outdoors since you need to keep your eyes as clean as possible.
- Stop wearing your contact lenses. If you wear contact lenses, you’ll need to switch to glasses full time for at least a few weeks before your surgery. Contact lenses can distort the shape of your cornea which could lead to inaccurate measurements and a poor surgical outcome. Your doctor will provide specific guidelines depending on your situation and how long you’ve been a contact lens wearer.
Contact Wright Vision Center at phone or website for more information on preparing for LASIK surgery or to schedule a LASIK consultation.